Sunday, November 13, 2011

Heading towards my personal intuition

I commented in my post about Grand Designs Live at the lack of horticultural purchasing opportunities but there was a bulb stand.  I hadn’t planned to buy any bulbs as I still have a pile of bulbs to plant out and have spent quite a bit. But……I was completed hooked by this ridiculously large cyclamen corm.  The corm is for Cyclamen cilicium and as you can just about see is 14cm across at its widest point!

The stall holder was advertising them as not needing any water or soil – she said that you just put them in a bowl on the window sill and that was that.  Once it had flowered you could then pot it up or plant it out in the garden.  I am not at all convinced by this and it goes against all my instincts but it was just too much of a challenge to resist.

They also had some Arum cornutum which they advertised as treating in the same way.  Well it would be sad not to give it a go so I weakened and bought one Cyclamen and two Arums for £10.  Unfortunately, I have since realised that the Arum is also the Voodoo Lily so if it does flower it might be a little smelly and be evicted but as I don’t think it will flower it isn’t a worry – yet!

I will put an update on the blog if and when something happens.

2 comments: